Monday 3 June 2013

Somebody shrank my weekend.

How is it possible that the weekend is already over?  that makes no sense.  There is absolutely no way it lasted as long as it was supposed to. 

Every year my parents street hosts a giant garage sale and a street party.  My parents decided to seize the opportunity to try to get rid of some of the clutter from the house they have lived in for 36 years.  Friday night we went over to help bring up things from the basement.  Saturday we were there at 8 am putting up tables, laying out books and snorkel gear and snow shoes.  We sat and shilled for 5 hours.  At the end of the day we had a net take of almost 15 dollars.  Yup... that's it.  Apparently no one wants my parents crap.  But then of course this crap could not go back into the house.  It needed to be given to a charity in the hopes that someone somewhere would find a use for it. 

We drive very small cars... there was no way all of that junk would fit in our cars... we needed to use my parents van to drive everything to the closest Value Village... but my mother had taken my sister to the funeral of a friend's mother... so we couldn't get rid of the stuff Saturday... it meant we had to go back on Sunday, load up the van and find someone who would accept most of it.  No one will take a mattress, so a perfectly good mattress futon which someone who really needs a place to sleep at night could have used went to waste. 

All of the lugging of furniture and books has made my back ache something awful... i'm not sure if it is aggravated because of the pregnancy or not.  Regardless these activities wore me out.  I was in bed by 8 on Saturday night.  Maybe that's why the weekends feel so short... I sleep through most of them.

I couldn't help but think that it is probably the last time I will see my parents before we tell them about our baby.  I can't tell them until after the viability ultrasound.  My parents have so much bad news in their lives these days I can't tell them about Shmily unless we know that S/he is going to be ok.  Fingers crossed that in 31 hours I will have finally met our baby.

3 comments:

  1. Fingers are definitely crossed for you! Exciting that the countdown is now hours and not days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fingers are crossed for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will be thinking of you tomorrow! Can't wait to hear the good news...

    And BTW- I was in bed at 8:30 on Saturday night as well. And I have no excuse! I remember when I used to go out at midnight!!!

    ReplyDelete