Wednesday 24 July 2013

Basements and vistors

This past week has been one of those weeks... one of those weeks with no good news... and one big mess.

This week we have friends of my husbands staying with us.  They are the same friends we visited a few months back in New York and they are currently expecting a baby in October.  She is vietnamese and has the tiniest little frame with a giant belly bump sticking out of it.  She is the poster child for what a beautiful perfect belly bump looks like.  I am jealous.  As a shower gift we, together with another couple, are giving them a maternity photo shoot session.  She was very excited about it.  And even this early in her pregnancy her bump will look amazing.

By contrast I look lumpy in the wrong places.

It has been nice to see them, but it's also a bit hard to have someone staying with you, especially when they get to sleep in every day and you have to get dressed to go to work.  And last night they came home and put Strawberry cheesecake in my refrigerator.  I have an anaphylactic allergy to strawberries.  The one thing I ask is to not bring strawberries home.  ug.  I've asked them to make sure it is gone by the time I get back.

My father is home from the hospital and seems to be on the mend.  Currently they think he might be able to go to Europe with us, but only because my mother has agreed to put her nursing training to work and pack his incision site from the abscess he had.  Literally a pain in the ass put him in the hospital and caused all of his numbers to go wonky. 

And then there is the mess.  Our basement is flooding.  But, not from the rain.  We haven't had much rain.  My husband thinks it could be that the air conditioner isn't draining properly.  I hope he's right...  The idea of having to rip apart our basement to redo it makes me weep.  We have gorgeous hard wood floors down there.

So, excuse me for not writing much... it's just been one of those weeks its hard to get excited about. 

7 comments:

  1. I'm sorry things have been so rough. I hope the basement turns out not to be an issue at all, and that the rest of your week is much better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, flooding is the pits, especially if you have a nice basement. Hopefully you can figure out what is causing it before too much damage?

    Hope your week takes a turn for the better, sans strawberries and excess water!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh. When it rains, it pours. Hang in there!

    Our basement flooded recently from an air conditioning issue as well. It sucks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have an anaphylactic allergy to tomatoes -- I've never known anyone else to have a serious allergy which evokes sympathy in others! Bummer. Do you like the flavour, or does the smell alone make you gag??

    Sorry about your basement. I hope it's a small thing that gets remedied quickly and easily.

    And I'm glad your dad is doing better. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, girl, I feel you on the basement pain... we are STILL dealing with basement issues about a month after we dug it up to replace all the pipes. So frustrating. And because of this, I am never installing nice hardwood or carpeting down there again, just in case. Cheap-as-hell carpet tiles from this point onwards. That is crazy about the strawberries! I was just thinking how nice it was of them to bring you strawberry cheesecake until I read about the anaphylaxis thing -- YIKES. They should really clean out your entire fridge as an apology, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Was thinking about you yesterday and how i hadnt seen a post in awhile so i thought I'd say hi. Hope all is going well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry for the delay. It has been a crazy few weeks. Tanks for tinking of me.. I am hoping to catch up on your blog soon. Hope everything is well with you!

      Delete