Tuesday 16 July 2013

Husbands and fathers and heartbeats... oh my!

My hubby and I had no plans for this past weekend.  We had hosted my "precocious" nephew for the previous week and even though we had fun we were exhausted.  Then we realized on Saturday we were going to have to go to my parents to do some laundry.  Because I am really on comfortable these days in maternity clothes, and because I don't have a lot of them, i have to do laundry fairly regularly.  And, of course, our washing machine has elected to break down.  My parents were very generous letting us come and use theirs.  And, my hubby, managed to get a gift from his wife who allowed him to go and watch two, yes TWO horrible summer action movies by himself while I did the laundry.

So I'm getting into the shower and I ask my husband to finish gathering all of the laundry together, strip the beds, while I finish getting ready.  I shower and return to the bedroom to find the linen still on the bed, and on the bed in the guest bedroom.

"Babe, what are you doing?" I call out, I can see he's in the kitchen, standing over the sink, holding his outside running shoes, covered in mud and grass and who knows what else

"cleaning my shoes" he responds innocently.

"in the kitchen?" I can feel the wrath of the pregnant woman hormones overcome me and my husband immediately knows he has done wrong.

Maybe I'm paranoid.  Maybe I know too much.  There are lots of parasites in the ground, in the dirt.  They advise pregnant women to wear gardening gloves and wash their hands well to make sure they don't pick up toxoplasmosis.  And here's my husband dropping dirt and grass bits all over our food preparation areas.

I mean even if I wasn't pregnant , to me this is not where you wash your running shoes.  We have a laundry tub... acceptable.  We have two outside hoses... acceptable... even the bathroom sink or tub to me is way better... but the kitchen????

And this is from my husband who is certain he is a germophobe.

So, sunday morning, after 8 hours of laundry (which my husband avoided by going to two, yes TWO movies) i forced him to clean the kitchen.  A lot.  With bleach.  And then clean it again.  And then I made him clean out the fridge.  I don't think our kitchen has ever sparkled as much as it does right now.  

Then came the bad news.  While I was doing laundry it was apparent that my father was getting ill again.  He looks so sallow and weak.  He can't sit because it is causing so much pain.  At 9pm Sunday night my mom took him back to emergency because he had a fever of 39.5.  He's been readmitted with a bacterial infection and has been placed on IV antibiotics.

We're all supposed to go to Europe together in just 3 weeks.  And i keep wondering if my father will be well enough to make the trip. 

I had a doctor's appointment yesterday morning at the same hospital where my father is a patient so i went to visit him after.  I heard the baby's heart beat for the first time.  What an incredible symphony that little one is making.  The most incredible sound I have ever heard. 

5 comments:

  1. I hate to make this generalization, but sometimes, men don't think. There's no rhyme or reason to it, they just do some things that make their partners scratch their heads.

    I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. I hope that the infection will get better and he will be able to go on the European vacation with you. I'm totally jealous you're going to Europe by the way, I've always wanted to go!

    Yay for hearing the baby's heartbeat! I'm thrilled that you got to hear it and that everything is going well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cool you got to hear the little ones heartbeat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear about your dad. I hope all goes well with him. But good news about the heartbeat. It's funny how exciting it is to hear that.

    And about your husband...all I can say is, I was nodding my head the entire time I was reading. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  4. The shoe cleaning story sounds like something my husband would do! It is funny that your husband did despite his phobia of germs. MEN...

    I'm so sorry to hear your dad isn't doing well and will be hoping that he rebounds quickly, and in plenty of time of your upcoming vacation. (How exciting that sounds!)

    And how lovely to hear the baby's heartbeat. I can only imagine how amazing that felt. So happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry about your dad. I hope things are looking better...

    Congrats on hearing the HB. How awesome is that?

    And shoes are to be cleaned in the laundry room sink!!! Even if you weren't pregnant and thinking of your health, I wouldn't want someone cleaning their shoes in my kitchen sink, where I prepare food. Gross!

    ReplyDelete